This page is a work in progress. Have something to add? Send me a message
Far too often I’ve bought the idea of great ideas, shortcuts, and overnight success. It’s a wild ride filled with adrenaline, but it leaves me feeling crushed, alone, like a failure. It’s a world filled with stories of glamour and fame, but underneath it conceals a desperation, a last hope that luck will save you in the nick of time (it doesn’t).
As I’ve gotten older and (hopefully) wiser, I’ve started to see an alternative to my crazed pursuit of the next big thing. I’ve found other people – successful people – who let me know that it’s okay if you don’t take over the world. It’s okay if you can’t work 80-hour weeks. It’s okay to be calm.
The concept of calm is borrowed from Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hanson’s new book, “It Doesn’t Have To Be Crazy At Work”. To be completely honest, I haven’t read it yet, but I will soon. In the meantime, here are some of the people who have pointed me to the calm.
These people are the voice of reason in a world gone crazy. They regularly share ideas and content about calm companies.
- Jason Fried, co-founder of Basecamp, https://medium.com/@jasonfried
- Seth Godin, teacher and writer, https://seths.blog/
- Nathan Barry, (@nathanbarry), founder & CEO of ConvertKit, http://nathanbarry.com/
- Amy Hoy, co-founder at Freckle and 30×500, https://stackingthebricks.com/
- Ben Chestnut (@benchestnut), CEO and co-founder of Mailchimp
- Dan Kurzius (@dkurzius), Chief Customer Officer and co-founder of Mailchimp
- Paul Jarvis (@pjrvs), author, designer, teacher, https://pjrvs.com/
- Jason Zook (@jasondoesstuff), co-founder of Wandering Aimfully, https://wanderingaimfully.com
- Joel Gascoigne (@joelgascoigne), Co-founder & CEO at Buffer, https://joel.is/
- It Doesn’t Have To Be Crazy At Work by Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hanson, on Amazon
- Company of One by Paul Jarvis, https://ofone.co/
- No More “Struggle Porn” by Nat Eliason
- Why You Should Focus On Enough Instead Of More by Jason Zook
- What happened when I became a millionaire by DHH
- Enough already by Paul Jarvis
- Making money takes practice like playing the piano takes practice by Jason Fried
- Outlasting by Jason Fried
- But can you sell water? By Jason Fried
- Why we choose profit by Jason Fried